Monday, August 8, 2011

Third Wheel

As a general rule, I hate the Special Guest Referee gimmick. It is, without doubt, my least favorite match stipulation of all times. It never adds to a match, and more often than not, subtracts from it. It's just... a terribad idea. Especially when lumped onto a match that has more than sold itself with no gimmicks and no stipulations... just two dudes going head-to-head.

The thing about the Special Guest Referee is it immediately takes all the wind out of the match. It doesn't matter who is in the ring, or what kind of 5-Star caliber performance they put on, in the end, you know damn well some shenanigans are going down with that special referee. It's sort of like watching an M. Night Shyamalan movie. You spend so much time waiting for the twist or trying to figure out what it is that you're actually distracted from watching. That's the thing with the special referee. Something is going to happen. Otherwise, why would there be a special guest referee at all?

The addition of this third wheel all but guarantees that something shady is going down. Just a matter of when. Even if we were to let that slide and try to enjoy the match, the problem is that the special referee is often just as popular as the two opponents. Which means that, even if you're not worried about the end of the match and what might happen, you're constantly distracted by this other guy you really like, too. Or hate. Either way, he (or she) has your attention. Which again means you're not focusing on the match or the people participating in it.

I was pretty pumped for Cena vs Punk at Summerslam. It certainly doesn't need anything added to it. That match has made itself, mostly on the hard work of those two dudes to sell a damn good wrestling storyline. I was looking forward to a damn good sequel to a hell of a match those two put on at Money in the Bank. And I honestly have no doubts that their Summerslam rematch will be a 5-Star event just like the last one. With the one small asterisks of whatever tomfoolery HHH gets involved in. We'll see what happens. I'm sure it'll work. Whatever they have planned up their sleeve, it'll work. I'm putting my faith in that. However, at this moment, and even going into it... that's not what I was excited for. And it's not what I wanted to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment