Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I know women wear pants...

...because I'm always trying to get them off.

Someone told me that Tuesdays were good for blogging. As it turns out, it's a Tuesday. I also have a blog. So... fuck it. Let's see what I've still got.

Now I've been debating all day about what exactly I wanted to blog about. Trying my best to avoid personal issues, but that's what's prevalent on my mind right now... until a co-worker showed me this. He was actually bitching about the fact that everyone looks like "angry Hulk" on this cover, (which, they kinda do), but what I picked up on was the mostly naked woman standing front and center.

Look, I like half-naked women as much as the next dude (more than the next dude if the fella standing beside me is Randy), but it just doesn't make sense for super females to wear underwear. Well, nothing but underwear, at any rate. Diana can go commando for all I care, so long as she's doing it with pants on. Which, I guess, is sort of the definition of commando. Otherwise, you'd just be naked, right? Halvsies, anyway.

When I was thirteen, Jim Lee's Psylocke was like the greatest fucking thing in the world. Pretty sure she's the reason I even like the color purple. I mean... damn. OK. Comic book or not, Psylocke is fucking hot.

But that's sort of the point. She's a British dame (uber sexy accent) in a ninja's body (hot Asian chick). She's all sorts of designed to be a Frankenstein creation of male teen fantasies. So, you know, her wearing underwear... yeah. I get it. What else is she going to wear?

Wonder Woman, on the other hand, is the female superhero. There's not even a question about that. It's scientific fact. It's probably in the Old Testament somewhere. I mean, really, she's it. About this time last year, did sort of a "reboot" on WW and hit us with this controversial redesign.

I thought it was awesome. It feels like a real evolution. Say what you will for the storyline (I was really into it at first, but it has kind of meandered since then), but it was a bold move that made sense. Sure, fanboys are going to bitch about it, but honestly... how many world renowned figures can you name that still dress like it's the 70s?

A few months ago, DC announced an entire "relaunch" of their comic books. Some crazy retcon/reboot hybrid with new costumes, new origins and new, exciting stories. To go along with that, they showed us this and this.

That second one is sort of important, because as you'll see, DC has made a quiet little policy of "never" (a word that has no real meaning in the comics world) putting underwear on the outside of tights again. Yep. That's right. No more Batbriefs. No more red undies on the outside of Supe's tights. Those days are over. Now we move forward into a new, more civilized era.

Until today. Until this.

In a world where men refuse to put underwear outside of their armored tights, Wonder Woman, the single most recognizable female superhero in the history of mankind... a third of the Trinity that holds DC and the Justice League together... is wearing NOTHING BUT HER GOD DAMN FUCKING UNDERWEAR.

Look, it'll never be a secret that I like scantily clad women. A lot. Too much? Maybe. Whatever. That's not the point. The point is that even I, horrible man-type that I am, can see that Wonder Woman is more than just some dame in a bikini. She's an icon. A role model to, well... OK, find me a woman that didn't want to be Wonder Woman at some point in her life. And if you do find her, ask her why, and she'll probably tell you she didn't want to run around in her underwear all gods damned day.

Simply put, Diana deserves better. DC is taking bold strides to try and shake things up. To present their audience, both long-time readers and new fans, with something interesting and different. Something new. Something fresh.

Jesus Christ, kids, we've got a dark skinned Spider-Man now. You tellin' me we can't have a warrior princess with clothes on?

Fuck you, DC. Just... suck a dick. Suck it long. And suck it hard. You bastards.


No comments:

Post a Comment